First published in the July 28 print issue of the Pasadena Outlook.
The Pasadena Senior Center’s three-decade tradition of hosting live summer entertainment for all ages will continue Mondays, Aug. 8 to Sept. 5, from 5:30 to 7:30 pm on the center’s spacious, tree-shaded patio.
The concert schedule:
• Aug. 8 – The Michael Haggins Band will perform a blend of smooth jazz, R&B and funk.
• Aug. 15 – JazzZone, who has entertained President Barack Obama and the local Pasadena community, will take the stage with its jazz standards, R&B, soul and Latin tunes.
• Aug. 22 – The Susie Hansen Latin Band will perform fiery jazz and salsa that will likely have the audience on their feet and dancing in the aisles.
• Aug. 29 – Joyance draws upon a fixed repertoire of Celtic songs in the Irish and Scottish traditions for its upcoming performance.
• Sept. 5 – The Great American Swing Band will perform music ranging from big band and standards to Dixieland, swing and more.
Reservations are not required for the concerts. Attendees are encouraged to bring their own beverages, snacks and/or picnic dinners. Each attendee should be prepared to show proof of COVID vaccination.
The concert series is sponsored by Pasadena Tournament of Roses Foundation, Pasadena Showcase House for the Arts and Cynthia Rosedale Fund for Seniors.
For more information, visit pasadenaseniorcenter.org and click on “Activities & Events” and then “Special Events,” or call (626) 795-4331.
In addition to online classes, onsite events and other activities, members and nonmembers of the Pasadena Senior Center are encouraged to visit the website regularly for a monthly magazine, free food delivery for older adults in need, COVID updates specifically for older adults and more.
The center is an independent, donor-supported nonprofit organization that has served older adults for more than 60 years. During the pandemic, doors are open Mondays through Fridays from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm for social services as well as the library, Sy Graff Fitness Center, computer lab and limited occupancy for events. Rooms are sanitized after each use.
In accordance with Pasadena Public Health Department guidelines, proof of COVID vaccination is required for everyone who uses the fitness center or attends onsite activities indoors. Masks are optional.